TnCIS - International Service Learning
Professional Development Program
Cape Town, South Africa
Tentative dates: May 17 - 27, 2017
Program Details: The primary purpose of this program is to provide professional development training to faculty and administrators in two areas of High Impact Practices (HIP) as designated by TBR. By providing professional experience in international service learning, both areas of study abroad and service learning can be addressed to maximize the influence the participants will have, not only on policy and development, but directly on student recruitment and enrollment. No HIP can exist, for any institution, without administrative and faculty support and proper best practices. Both HIP are unique niches within higher education, however, combining the two increases the impact on student success, retention and completion exponentially. Funding for this program is provided by a TBR SERS grant.
TnCIS Service Learning Programs: TnCIS currently has several international service learning courses embedded into the regular summer programs. The most successful international service learning program is, perhaps, the TnCIS South Africa Program. All courses approved for this program must have a service learning component in which students are earning at least 25% of their grade through a service learning project. The professional development training will provide 8-10 faculty and administrative personnel from the TBR system the opportunity to travel to Cape Town, South Africa, during the 2017 TnCIS student program to participate in a 10-day professional development.
Location: This program will take place in Cape Town, an oceanfront city surrounded by the beautiful Table Mountain National Park. Cape Town is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, with African, European, and Asian influences. Along with South Africa’s unique political and cultural history, as well as the abundance of wildlife and scenic landscapes, this is an ideal location for a professional development program. In addition to the mountain top views, oceanfront venues, and unique flora and fauna, Cape Town has everything; world class museums, vibrant nightlife, restaurants for every taste, and shops that sell everything from local arts and crafts to high end designer brands. Interacting with cheetahs and penguins, taking the cable car to the top of Table Mountain, and walking in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela can all be a part of the Cape Town experience.
Application Details: Interested participants should complete the online application. The deadline for applications is November 15, 2016. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance on or around December 1, 2016. The program will pay for approximately 65% of travel costs, the participant’s home institution will be responsible for the remaining 35%. Depending on airfare, the cost payable by the participant’s institution is estimated to be approximately $1200. Costs include airfare, housing, two meals a day, as well as all ground transportation and excursion costs related to the program.
Tentative Schedule (Subject to Change)
||Arrive in Cape Town, South Africa. Evening transport to hotel
||On site orientation / visit TnCIS student program/afternoon Robbins Island Tour (with students)
||Introduction to Study Abroad / Afternoon visits to Slave Lodge / South Africa Museum / District Six
||Cape of Good Hope tour
||Introduction to Service Learning / Afternoon Student Service Learning site visit (with student group)
||Day Seven - Service Learning Site (with student group)
||Morning session Administration of HIPs
||Wrap-up session, Table Mountain and farewell dinner
||Afternoon Departure to airport